Sunday 23 June 2024

What do you do to steady your heart?

Winston is a funny old chap, sometimes loving, sometimes standoffish, but always honest.



The longer I travel through life, the more the importance of honesty is cemented. We all pour so much energy into other's, many times on fruitless ground, ground that wants to stay barren. Many of us left feeling empty by the nature of relationships that are lopsided, bruised by the selfishness of others actions or deeds. Caught in the whirlwind of the rat race while trying to stand firm against the onslaught.

Constantly giving is in some people's nature, as is taking for others, is this the yin and yang of it? Is it necessary to know people of one sort, to value those that are kinder natured? Many times I am told to withdraw, pull-back, protect myself, but if this is not my nature, then I must find other ways to heal my reserves, as must many of you that try so hard and end up feeling not quite enough. Put on edge by the turns of life, jarred by what you witness.

My remedy often is to look at my children, and ponder at their wonderful natures, hug them as often as I can and actively listen to them. Sit for tiny moments with the animals, let them come as they want and cover me with mud and kisses. Watch Jerome as he potters around, wait to catch his eye, and just share a smile. He is a bit short sighted so I have to be at the right distance or he'll give me a blank stare, which always brings me anxiousness, even after years together. Soft as putty it seems I stay, despite my advancing years.

When you are feeling low or emptied, what do you do to steady your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment